International FAQ

Welcome to our global community. As an international student, you probably have a unique set of questions including ones regarding enrollment, English Proficiency, resources, housing, and visa requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Enrollment FAQ

Are there GPA Requirements?

Currently, there are no GPA requirements.

What are the English Proficiency requirements?

A TOEFL score of 213 on the Computer-based test, 79 on the internet-Based Test, 550 on the Paper-based TOEFL, 685 on the TOEIC, 3.5 on the iTEP, 6.5 on the IELTS or ISE II (B2). Other proof may be accepted upon review. Please contact us for more information.

Do I need to submit an official transcript?

Currently, we do not require an official transcript unless requested.

Will the course I take transfer to my home university?

Transferability requirements are determined by your home university. Consult with your academic advisor before enrolling in courses.

When should I apply?

To allow for sufficient processing time, students should submit their online application by mid-April for Session 1 or the 10 week Session, and mid-May for Session 2. See view official deadlines on our international page. It is important to apply for your visa appointment early! June, July and August are the busiest months in most consular sections. Please apply early so that you have your necessary documents in time for your departure date. To find the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your city, please visit

After I enroll, how do I resubmit a supporting document for my enrollment?

After you have enrolled, if you need to resubmit a copy of your passport, proof of funds or current I-20 (for transfer students), these documents should be submitted to UCI International Center. Please contact their office for more information at If you need to resubmit proof of English Proficiency, the Academic Honesty and Student Conduct Form, the Health Insurance Acknowledgement Form, or Transcript, you may do so via the International Online Application or by contacting our office at

How can I change my courses or my grade options?

After officially enrolling in courses, you may add, drop, or change the grade option online via My Account. As an international student, any changes/updates you make to your summer enrollment may affect your I-20 status and/or eligibility. Visiting International students who have been issued an I-20 by Summer Session (UCI International Center) must maintain a minimum of 6-units of on-campus courses throughout the duration of their stay. Dropping below 6-units is in violation of F-1 status and may result in the termination of your I-20. It is your responsibility to be aware of the policies and procedures along with any other pertinent information regarding I-20 and Visa related information

What are the “prerequisites” for a course?

Prerequisites are listed in the course description with the courses. Students are expected to have completed the prerequisite requirements prior to the beginning of class in order to succeed in the course. Prerequisites are not strictly enforced for visiting international students, unless otherwise noted. Certain courses, such as Chemistry and Management, will be monitored for students who have met the prerequisites.

How can I obtain a syllabus or a list of books for my course prior to arriving?

The 2024 syllabus for your course will be made available to you on the first day of instruction. However, when you activate your UCINetID and UCI Gmail Account, you can access the course website on your EEE Account. Depending on the course you enrolled in, you may also have access to the course syllabus, which includes textbooks required for the course, and any assignments/readings that may be due before the first day of class. Should you need the syllabus for review prior to the beginning of instruction (registration, etc.), please contact our office and we will provide you with a syllabus from a previous academic term.

Can I be picked up from the airport?

Our program does not offer airport pick-up services, but we are happy to provide information on several transportation and hotel options. Our recommended transportation companies that provide shared car/van services are Prime Time ShuttleSuper Shuttle, and Lotus Transportation. Rates vary, but be sure to tell the company that you are a UCI student, as some companies might offer a UCI discount. Many students also use rideshare apps, such as Uber or Lyft, which provide convenient pick-up/drop-off services at both Los Angeles Airport (LAX) and John Wayne/Santa Ana Airport (SNA).

Can I miss the first week of class?

No. You will miss the mandatory orientation and important introductory topics in your classes. If you have to miss any days, please talk to your instructor before the course starts for the summer. Summer Session is accelerated and missing 2-3 days is equivalent to missing 2 weeks in a regular quarter.

What are the fees?

Please view our International page for a complete breakdown of fees.

What is UCI’s Academic Integrity and Student Conduct policy?

It is essential that all members of the academic community subscribe to the ideal of academic integrity and student contact, and accept individual responsibility for their work. Academic dishonesty and inappropriate student conduct is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at UCI. Cheating, forgery, dishonest conduct, plagiarism, and collusion in dishonest activities erode the University’s educational, research, and social roles. Please note, students that fail to adhere to UCI’s standard of academic integrity and student conduct may have their I-20 terminated and receive a failing grade in their course(s).

What if my course is canceled?

Summer Session courses are dependent on adequate enrollment. Summer Session reserves the right to cancel a course if it does not have an adequate number of enrolled students prior to the beginning of the course’s instruction. Courses may also be canceled by the sponsoring academic department based on their internal criteria. You will be notified via email and given a full refund of the course or you may use the credit for another course contingent on maintaining your F-1 visa status.

How many hours of instruction is a credit worth?

A 4-unit course is a minimum of 30 hours of instruction (6 hours per week). However, some courses also require students to enroll in a discussion course, which is not calculated within the total hours of instruction. So, it’s possible that some courses will have an additional 10 hours of instruction (2 hours per week) for a total of 40 hours. A course at UC Irvine normally offers 4 quarter-units of credit. The unit value is modeled on the Carnegie unit, which allows one unit of credit for three hours of work by the student per week. One hour of lecture or discussion may be included in the three hours. It is expected that, on the average, a student will spend two hours in preparation for each hour of lecture. Laboratory courses are offered for variable units. Typically these courses do not require as much preparation outside the classroom. The students are expected to complete the majority of their work in their labs.

It’s slightly different when one reviews the total hours of credit value. For example, a 4 quarter-unit course in UC Irvine would be equivalent to 4 x 3 (hours per unit per week) x 5 (Summer Session is 5 weeks of class time and 1 week for final exam for a total of 6 weeks, but the last week is not calculated in the total for unit/hour calculation) = 60 hours.

Where can I obtain a UCI transcript?

You have two options to obtain an official transcript:

    • You can visit the Registrar’s Office to fill out the necessary paper work and pay $17 per record. Please be sure you obtain the correct address of the department at your home university and who should receive your transcript to avoid any delays.
    • You can also order a transcript online. An online processing fee of $2.25 will be charged, and you may pay by credit card.

English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) FAQ

What if I have taken the TOEFL (or other) exam but will not have the results in time to finalize my Summer Session application?

All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official proof of English language proficiency. Applicants must submit an approved English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) score with the application at the time of enrollment to receive an I-20. Applicants who do not submit their score report must cancel their application by the deadline in order to receive a refund of fees. (Review non-refundable and refundable fees)

Do I have to fulfill the EPR if I apply as a part-time student?

Yes, the EPR is used to evaluate the English proficiency of students whose native language is not English and who want to enroll in regular UC Irvine Summer Session courses. Courses are taught solely in English and are accelerated. Thus, it is in the best interest of students to have strong command of the English language. All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency.

Do I have to fulfill the EPR if I am currently studying in the U.S. or another English speaking country?

If you are an international student who is currently studying in an English-speaking country for at least one academic year, you are still required to submit proof of English proficiency. You should submit a copy of your transcript from your current institution with your application.

What if my university’s language of instruction is in English?

If your university teaches more than 50% of courses in English, you are still required to submit proof of English proficiency.

Do I have to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement if I am from a country where English is the primary or official language?

If you are an international student from an English-speaking country, please submit the English Proficiency Requirement Form. Summer Session will verify your country when you submit your application. Please contact the Summer Session office for the form.

What if I have taken an English language exam that isn’t on the list?

Summer Session is only able to accept the English language exams listed on our International enrollment page.

Student Resources FAQ

How do I obtain an ID card?

UCI ID cards are not issued to visiting students. You may utilize your Summer Session statement which lists your UCI ID as your temporary UCI ID. This will allow you access to many of UCI’s resources such as libraries, computer labs, and the Anteater Recreation Center

Where can I buy my books for class?

You will receive your syllabus and book list from your professor on the first day of class or on the course website when you activate your UCINetID and UCI Gmail Account. You can visit the The Hill (UCI’s bookstore) to purchase your books. If you prefer to borrow your books, you may visit the UCI libraries’ website to see if your course books are available at one of UCI’s libraries or are on Course Reserves. Also, you have the option of purchasing your books online and having them shipped to you in your dormitories after you have received your book list. Keep in mind the shipping times. You have the option of selling your books back to The Hill (UCI’s bookstore) at the end of the session at the “Buyback” tents to receive a portion of your money back.

What is a UCInetID?

The UCInetID is your electronic identification to all UCI services online including email and all other campus web services such as the library. After you obtain your student ID number, you need to activate your UCInetID in order to access your UCI Gmail account. Professors and staff often use your UCI Gmail address to contact you. You will also need UCInetID to access EEE (Electronic Educational Environment but often referred to as “Triple E”) where you can check your grades, submit assignments and see your class materials.

How do I activate my UCInetID?

Visit OIT’s activation website and follow the instructions. If you do not have a social security number, leave that field blank.

How do I log in to EEE to view my assignments and course grades?

First, activate your UCInetID. Then, visit EEE and log in to see your courses and GradeBook. Your professor can upload assignments and communicate with the class via EEE.

How do I access my UCI email address through the UCI Google Apps account?

Your email address is generated once you activate your UCInetID. Your email address will be your UCInetID (i.e. jdoe) After you activate your UCInetID, refer to“Getting Started with E-Mail.”

    • Be sure to setup a UCI Google Apps password.
    • After setting a password, click “Submit Query”
    • You will be directed to Google page where you can enter your UCInetID and password to log in into your Google Account

Why do I have two different set of ID numbers: UCI ID Number and Summer ID Number?

Each student on campus is allocated two unique set of ID numbers to assist with maintaining your student records and giving you access to campus resources. Your summer ID number will be issued first once you have enrolled in Summer Session. It will begin with “00”. Your UCI ID number will be issued 5-7 business days after enrollment. It will have 8 digits and will be listed on your Summer Session statement.

Housing FAQ

Where can I make housing arrangements?

Kapi Residences offers off-campus apartments for students close to campus. Please view their website for more information including availability and rates.

Where can I eat on-campus?

You can purchase an optional meal plan for campus restaurants or you may purchase meals and snacks in the Student Center. For information on meal plans, visit

Do I need to bring my own bedding and supplies?

Kapi Residences will supply these items only to those students living in their off-campus apartments.

U.S. Visa Requirements

U.S. Immigration law states that if a person’s main purpose in coming to the U.S. is to study in a full-time program, he or she must come on a student visa (F-1).

B visa holders (B-1 visitors for business and B-2 visitors for pleasure) and F-2 dependents are prohibited by law from enrolling in a course of study unless they apply for and receive approval for study by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If you plan on supplementing your travel to the U.S. by attending a UCI Summer Session course part-time, then the B-1 or B-2 could be an option for you.

It is a difficult and lengthy process to change visa status from B-1 or B-2 to F-1 after you enter the United States, and there is no guarantee that the change will be approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Immigration Services. In addition, a person who applies to change to F-1 status may not begin studying until the change is approved. Therefore, it is important that anyone who is planning to study full-time in the U.S. enter on an F-1 student visa.

If you are unsure of which kind of visa you need, we recommend you ask either your local counseling source or the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country. You can also contact the UCI International Center at or visit the U.S. Department of State’s websites:

Visa FAQ
Are you an international student?

International students are defined as “non-immigrant” visitors who come to the U.S. temporarily to take classes. A non-immigrant is someone who:

    • Intends to stay in the U.S. temporarily
    • Does not have U.S citizenship or legal permanent resident status (a “green card”)
    • Applies for a visa to be allowed entry into the U.S.
    • Has an F-1 student visa (most international students at UCI arrive with F-1 status)

Visiting U.S. College Students vs. International Students

Visiting U.S. College Students
F-1 international students who are already in the U.S. are considered “Visiting U.S. College Students” if they meet the criteria below. For these students, a Form I-20 from Summer Session is NOT required:

    1. Studying at institution A in the spring, attending UCI Summer Session, and returning to institution A in the fall.
    2. Studying at institution A in the spring, attending UCI Summer Session, and transferring the F-1 visa status to institution B in the fall semester (as long as there are no more than five months between your end date at institution A and start date at institution B).

International Students
The following students with F-1 visa status are required to obtain an I-20 from Summer Session and are considered “international students”:

    1. Those who completed studies at institution A, and will need an extension of F-1 visa status for UCI Summer Session attendance. A transfer of program is required in this case.
    2. Those who have received fall admission at institution A, but will attend UCI Summer Session before beginning the fall program, must enter the U.S. with the UCI I-20. The student must initiate a transfer of F-1 visa status to his or her school in the fall before completing UCI Summer Session.

What is needed to apply for an F-1 Student Visa?

In general, all student visa applicants must submit the following documents and fees:

    • A valid passport (valid at least 6 months beyond your intended stay in the U.S.)
    • An I-20, or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (this is the form issued by UCI International Center)
    • Visa application forms DS-156, DS-158, DS-160, and in some cases, DS-157. Forms are available on the U.S. Department of State website.
    • Visa application fees (refer to the instructions on the forms for fee amounts)
    • SEVIS I-901 fee

There may be additional requirements since each U.S. embassy and consulate sets its own interview policies and procedures regarding student visas. Therefore, students should consult embassy websites or call for specific application instructions. Find the U.S. embassy in your city.

It is important to remember that applying early and providing the requested documents does not guarantee that the student will receive a student visa. Also, because each student’s personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for the same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. For that reason, the guidelines listed above are general and can be abridged or expanded by consular officers overseas, depending on each student’s situation.

Do I need an I-20 document to obtain an F-1 Visa?

Yes, if you are…

    • coming from outside the U.S. for Summer Session only.
    • already in the U.S. in F-1 status attending an intensive English language program.

No, if you are…

    • already in the U.S. in F-1 Status attending another U.S. college or university but will not continue at that school in this upcoming Fall quarter.
    • a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.


    • currently attending another U.S. college or university and will continue at that school in this upcoming Fall quarter.
    • in the U.S. and of any other status (tourist, etc.).

Do F-1 visa holders need to study full-time?

Yes, full-time study is required for F-1 visa holders. Full-time study for Summer Session is defined as follows:

Calendar of Sessions
Session I 6 unit minimum; 10 unit maximum
Session II 6 unit minimum; 10 unit maximum
Session I & II 6 unit minimum; 10 unit maximum (each session)
10-Week 6 unit minimum; 10 unit maximum

What if I want to study only part-time?

Only students wishing to study full­-time need an F­-1 visa. Students that are visiting the U.S. for travel or business and would like to supplement their visit by attending UCI Summer Session can attend as a part­-time student. If a student has entered the U.S. on either a B­-1 or B-­2 (Tourist/Business Visa), they may enroll in 5 or fewer units at in UCI Summer Session. However, students will only be allowed to study part-­time under B-­1/B-­2 status. Part-time study is one course, or 5 units or less per Session.

Do I need a Visa if I am only enrolling in an online course?

If you are and international student enrolling in online courses from your home country you do not need to apply for a student visa. Click here to view fees for visiting international students enrolled in online courses.

When will I receive my I-20?

Please be patient as we process your application and issue your I-20. You can expect to receive your I-20 and supporting documents within 5-10 business days assuming there are no issues with your application. Documents will be sent to you digitally via DocuSign.

I received my I-20, now what do I do?

You may set up a visa appointment at your local U.S. Embassy. Apply early! It is important to apply for your F-1 Student Visa several months before your travel departure date.

Do I need to check-in with UCI Summer Session upon arrival to UCI?

Yes. There is a mandatory orientation for all international students at which you need to present your passport, I-20, entrance stamp (in your passport), proof of health insurance, and your local address information.

I already have an I-20. How do I apply?

You should consult an immigration advisor at your home university and ask whether you should transfer your I-20 to Summer Session OR concurrently enroll. Information regarding the requirements for enrolling can be found on our International page.

Can I arrive in the U.S. before my session starts?

Yes. Students with a valid F-1 student visa may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the first day of classes. If you arrive early, you are still responsible to attend the mandatory scheduled orientation.

Can I stay after my session has ended?

Yes. Students with a valid F-1 student visa may remain in the U.S. for 60 days after their session has ended. Additionally, you will be responsible for your own transportation and housing from the time the Session ends until you leave the U.S.

I’m looking to travel over the weekend during my session outside of the U.S.

Before a student travels outside of the U.S. during the program, he or she must ensure that their I-20 has been signed by an immigration advisor. All I-20s are signed before they are mailed to the students, but if for any reason there is no travel signature, students may obtain one by visiting the immigration advisors during walk-in counseling hours or by private appointment. Immigration walk-in advising is available Monday-Thursday 12pm-2pm. The I-20 must be signed at least 5 business days prior to the date of travel outside of the U.S.

I am an international high school student, what are the requirements to apply?

Our program can only accept students who are 18 years of age and older, and are planning to enter university in the Fall of 2024. If you meet these requirements, please visit our International Page for more information regarding our application, supporting documents, calendar and policies.

I have a U.S. passport, but can I still apply?

In order to apply with a U.S. passport, you must use our International Student Application, and not the International Online Application.

Please email our office at for the International Student Application.

Can’t find an answer you’re looking for? Email us at