Instructor Resources & Updates
Summer Session 2021 Notification for Remote Learning
Given the current unprecedented situation related to the coronavirus, UCI has decided to offer Summer Session 2021 courses through remote learning. We recognize that planning for Summer Session remote learning will require unique preparation. Therefore, we wanted to provide you with the some resources at your disposal.
- UCI Teach Anywhere
- Guides for setting up your course in Canvas
- Guides for setting up and utilizing Zoom with Canvas
- Remote assessment considerations
- Tips and techniques for remote instruction
- Remote Assessment
For Summer Session 2021, Respondus will no longer be available as a service for the online proctoring of exams. Instructors are strongly encouraged to consider other forms of assessments given remote instruction. However, if proctored traditional exams are required for a class, instructors have the option of utilizing Self Service Zoom Proctoring. If an online exam proctoring service is absolutely necessary (and Self Service Zoom Proctoring is not feasible or inadequate) there may be limited resources available for live proctoring services offered through UCI Remote Proctoring. Please note that availability for this service is limited, so it can be offered only by exception. For any questions, or to make an exceptional request, please contact Rachel Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about remote assessment options and assessment alternatives in general, please visit https://sites.uci.edu/teachanywhere/home/assessment/remote-exams/.
- Pre-Course Preparation
- The week prior to the Summer Session start date of course instruction is a time for both instructors and students to prepare for taking a remote or online course. This week is a great time for instructors to test various technology as well as their pedagogical approach. During this week, students are encouraged to sign-in and get acquainted with the course website, read the course syllabus, and download and test any needed software.
- OIT’s Technology Prep Help
- Internet connectivity
- Use Zoom for Live Interaction
- Remote assessment considerations
- Google Apps for UCI
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Virtual Computer Lab for off-campus access to specialized software
- DTEI’s Pedagogical Continuity
- Professional development assistance
- Policies, guidelines, and recommendations
- DTEI’s Guidance on Ownership of Course Materials
- School Based Faculty Support Teams
- Research on remote
- The Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation (DTEI) will be hosting the Digital Learning Institute (DLI). The program provides an opportunity for one-on-one support focused on embracing pedagogical excellence and digital active learning through remote instruction. The DLI Cohort VI will run from Monday, April 19 to Monday, June 7, 2021. Interested instructors must complete a brief application form by Friday, March 26. If you have questions regarding the program, please contact us at DTEIsupport@uci.edu
Updates and Notices
There will likely be fluctuations and updates regarding resources and procedures for the remote offering of Summer Session courses. The most up to date information can be found on the Instructor page of the Summer Session website.
4/15/21 - Instructor Contracts Issued Via DocuSign
Instructor contracts were sent out via DocuSign. DocuSign should allow you to easily sign your instructor contact by following a few simple steps. If you have not received your instructor contract via DocuSign, please contact our office.
6/4/21 - Online Exam Development and Exam Proctoring Management Workshops
- Wednesday, June 9, 2021, from 10 AM to 11 AM
- Tuesday, June 15, 2021, from 2 PM to 3 PM
- Monday, July 19, 2021, from 2 PM to 3 PM
- Tuesday, July 27, 2021, from 11 AM to 12 PM