The bank-to-bank transfer service is an effective method of making payments to UCI Summer Session. It allows students, their families, or sponsors (including Summer Session partners) the opportunity to securely send bank-to-bank transfers for payment of tuition and fees in many international currencies. Discover the many benefits of bank-to-bank transfers through Western Union.
How This Service Works
UCI has contracted with Western Union to provide international students with an alternative to paying their Summer Session tuition and fees by wire transfer. Western Union offers a competitive rate of exchange and low fees for processing payments in many international currencies.
Important Note: Students who will be living in UCI dormitories will be provided with a separate and unique link for housing payment. Do not pay for housing fees here. Housing payments are made directly to Housing Administrative Services.
Steps to Make a Bank-to-Bank Transfer
Step 1: Click here to make a payment on program and academic fees.
Step 2: Complete the Western Union Form
- Enter student details (boxes marked with a * are required)
- Enter your tuition and fee amount in the relevant fields in USD. Do not pay for housing fees here.
- Select payment currency
- If your local currency is not an available option, you will need to choose another currency on the list (for example, United States Dollar - USD) in order to arrange your Bank-to-Bank transfer. You will need to purchase USD from your bank prior to making the wire transfer through Western Union.
- Finalize transaction
- You will receive a confirmation email with information in a PDF attachment from Western Union with further instructions
Step 3: Bank Transfer
- Upon completion of the transaction, take the Western Union confirmation email with the PDF attachment to your local bank
- Local bank will transfer the funds to Western Union
- The rate quoted is valid for 72 hours
Step 4: Payment Finalized
- Once payment has been sent through your bank, Western Union will then forward the US dollar amount to UCI Summer Session.
Benefits to You
- Secure an exchange rate you are happy with – the rate will be held for 72 hours
- Understand your costs – know exactly how much you are paying in your home currency
- Peace of mind – have confidence that the UCI Summer Session will receive your fees on time, usually within 2 working days
- No expensive bank charges – keep hold of as much of your money as possible
- Speed up your application and enrollment process – UCI Summer Session will be able to identify your fee payment quickly thus eliminating delays
- No additional charges for using this service are levied by UCI Summer Session or Western Union
- By using this service you avoid or significantly reduce the costs incurred to both yourself and UCI for making and receiving international payments
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is using Western Union better than just using my bank?
If you use your own bank to make your payment to UCI Summer Session, then this will cost you more. Banks charge service fees (sometimes you are not even aware of them) that are added on to the payment and these charges can be substantial. This means UCI Summer Session sometimes will not receive your full tuition and fees payment because the added bank charges are deducted from your total due. Because of this, delays can be incurred with your enrollment and I-20 processing. By using Western Union, you are assured of a guaranteed rate of exchange as well as ensuring that UCI Summer Session receives your fees in full. This exchange rate is held for 72 hours giving you peace of mind that the exchange rate will not move against you. So, after submitting your payment, you can relax and feel comfortable knowing that you are done and have paid in full.
Do I need to provide the UCI Summer Session bank details when I go to my local bank?
No. Western Union will email you a confirmation and instructions, including the local bank details within your country for making the payment You do not need the UCI Summer Session bank’s information to make this bank-to-bank payment transaction. Simply bring the email confirmation and instructions that you receive from Western Union to the bank and they will take care of the rest.
What fees can I pay using this service?
You can pay your Application/International Student Fee (non-refundable), Mandatory Campus Fee (non-refundable), Summer Session Tuition (Course Fees), Health Insurance, Housing Placement Fee (non-refundable), and Airport Pick-up Fee (non-refundable). These are the only fees you can pay at this time. You cannot pay for your dorm, meal plan or purchase your books using this service.
How do I pay for my housing with this service?
After Summer Session has received your enrollment form and you have been successfully enrolled into your courses, you will be sent a housing contract with specific instructions on how to pay your fees with a special weblink. Do not pay housing fees until you have received your housing contract from Summer Session.
I can’t find my home currency on the list?
Due to international and domestic banking regulations some currencies cannot be traded on the open market or as part of this service. If your home currency is not available, you can select United States Dollars (USD) or another currency from the drop down menu. If you decide to use USD, for example, you will need to first purchase the USD from your bank prior to making the wire transfer through Western Union.
Is using Western Union better than paying by credit card or using a bank check?
Western Union is one of a variety of options for paying your tuition and fees and you are welcome to research each option to see which one is best for you. You are welcome to pay by credit card or purchase a money order or a bank check (payable to UC Regents), if that is the option that is most convenient for you. However, keep in mind that credit card companies and banks have added services charges and fees associated with the transaction and some of the fees will not be known until after you have made the purchase. Also, paying by credit card often has delays with processing for various reasons. A bank check can also be delayed because you first need to find a US bank in your home country to issue the check and then you need to mail the check with your application, which can take several days.
If you have any questions regarding the bank-to-bank payment transfer via Western Union, you are welcome to contact them directly. Their dedicated Customer Service team will assist you with any of your questions. In addition, someone from their team can also help you through the payment process so you are clear on how it’s done and provide you with all the necessary details to make the process as easy and simple as possible.
Western Union Customer Service