Skip Navigaton

Transfer Edge

Build a foundation for success before fall quarter begins!

Session I: June 25 - August 4, 2017

Session II: August 6 - September 14, 2017

Full Summer: June 25 - September 14, 2017

Build a foundation for success before fall quarter begins!

Session I: June 25 - August 4, 2017

Session II: August 6 - September 14, 2017

Full Summer: June 25 - September 14, 2017


  • How do I submit my Transfer Edge enrollment form?
  • You can submit your application in one of two ways:

    By Mail:Visit our Enrollment tab, download and print a Transfer Edge enrollment form. You can mail your form to:

    UCI Summer Session
    Transfer Edge
    PO Box 6050
    Irvine, CA 92616

    In-person: If you plan to make a visit to the campus, you may submit your paper enrollment form in person to our office (Building #231 on the UCI campus map). Our office is open 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday.

  • I am applying for UCI Financial Aid, should I also include payment on my Transfer Edge enrollment form?
  • Students applying for Financial Aid must submit payment for the non-refundable mandatory campus fee of $175 on their enrollment form to hold their space in the program and courses.
    *Please note that the 2016-2017 FAFSA that is required for summer aid is last year's form and is different than the 2017-2018 FAFSA that you may have already completed for fall financial aid. Visit the UCI Financial Aid and Scholarships website for more information about applying for summer financial aid.

  • Can I take advantage of the UCI Summer Session “Pay for Only 8” Incentive Program?
  • Transfer Edge students are considered admitted UC students, and can take advantage of the “Pay for Only 8” Incentive Program. Students will need to pay for only 8 units in per unit course fees, but by taking part in both six-week Summer Sessions, most students would complete 14 units total. See Fees for more details.

  • I am an international student: How do I transfer my F-1 visa to UC Irvine?
  • If you need an F-1 visa to study at UC Irvine, your I-20 documentation will be processed by the UCI International Center based on your “My Admissions” information. Your I-20 will have the new program start date recorded for attendance in Transfer Edge once your Transfer Edge International Enrollment Form (coming spring 2017) and payment are received and processed by our office. Follow the instructions given in your UCI Admissions correspondence. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the necessary steps to obtain a visa with UC Irvine.

  • Will the Transfer Summer Start Seminar (Soc Sci 89) count towards my degree?
  • The Transfer Summer Start Seminar is a 2-unit course that will be recorded on your UC Irvine transcript with units applied toward graduation.  If you choose to take the course for a Letter Grade, you grade will be added into your UC GPA. If you choose to take the course as Pass/No Pass, you receive course credit if you earn a grade of "C" or better. Review the University Credit policies prior to enrollment.

  • How do I choose an elective course? When will I receive academic advising?
  • We recommend that you exercise care in selecting your elective course. Consider the following ways to make use of your time at Summer Session:

    • Enroll in a course that you are certain will fulfill graduation requirements for you. You can refer to the UCI Course Catalogue for a complete list of requirements for your specific major(s).
    • Complete prerequisites for courses that you plan to take during the year.
    • Take a course that does not relate to your chosen field but looks interesting – summer at UCI is a time of possibility: take a course that was not available at your previous school or one that you will not have time for during the year! This is especially helpful if you intend on adding another minor/major.

    During Summer Session, 6-8 units per 6-week session is considered a full load. Each 6-week session moves very quickly so you will want to be sure not to overextend your commitments.

    To ensure that you are adequately prepared for the course(s) that you enroll in, and that you are not duplicating credits you have already completed at the school you are transferring from, we recommend you attend your school-specific summer advising program. You will receive information about these sessions directly from the school to which you have been accepted.

    Our team at Summer Session is unable to provide academic advising, but would be pleased to help connect you to your academic department and relevant websites.

  • Will I be able to enroll in a course that I am currently taking a prerequisite for?
  • Yes. So long as you complete the prerequisite course prior to attendance at UCI, you will be able to enroll in your chosen course using the paper application form. You may be contacted directly by our team should additional information be required.

  • Can I take an online course?
  • Transfer Edge is intended to give students an example of college life at UC Irvine and ease the transition to the campus environment. For this reason, it is recommended that students choose an on campus course and take advantage of in person interaction with Instructors, T.A.s (teaching assistants), and discussion leaders. 

  • How do I find out what books I need for summer courses?
  • Closer to the start of the program, you will be able to search for required course books and materials online through UCI EEE and The Hill, UC Irvine’s Bookstore. Instructions for searching for and purchasing course books will be sent to students by e-mail and included in the student “Welcome Guide.”

  • Do I need a parking permit during Transfer Edge?
  • If you plan to bring a car to the campus, you will need a parking permit to park at UCI. Please note there are no suitable nearby shopping centers or other options for parking, and personnel in nearby shopping centers do routinely ticket cars. Parking permits will be available for purchase from the UCI Transportation & Distribution Services office.

  • What is Transfer Orientation? Should I attend in addition to Transfer Edge?
  • UC Irvine offers two Transfer Orientation programs: Transfer Success and Transfer Student Parent Orientation Program (T-SPOP). New transfer students make a smooth transition to life at UCI with information about UCI resources, opportunities to meet current UCI students and other new transfers, and a chance to ask questions. Visit New Student & Leadership Programs to see which program is right for you.

    Academic advising is NOT included in either of these programs, but academic advising is mandatory prior to your first fall quarter. We recommend you attend your school-specific summer advising program. You will receive information about these sessions directly from the school to which you have been accepted.

  • Where will I live during Transfer Edge?
  • Residential students live together in the Arroyo Vista Housing Community on campus.  Arroyo Vista is a 10-15 minute walk from the campus and features double rooms in smaller houses of 16-32 beds. Each house includes a full kitchen and access to laundry.
    It is highly recommended that students live with the program to fully experience the campus and best take advantage of opportunities, including workshops and activities. Students may choose to commute to the campus.

  • How do I enroll in Transfer Edge Program Housing?
  • Transfer Edge housing is completely separate from your academic year housing and requires a separate contract. Please note that there is a separate housing contract (different from the Transfer Edge enrollment form) that must be completed in order to reserve your room for Transfer Edge.
    Students who mark Yes for housing on their Transfer Edge enrollment form will be sent a housing contract by e-mail within our program confirmation.
    Students interested in program housing are strongly advised to enroll in Transfer Edge as soon as possible as housing spaces are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • Will I live in the same room for the entire year?
  • Transfer housing is completely separate from your academic year housing and requires a separate contract. Visit UCI Housing for more information on academic year housing.
    The Transfer Edge program ends on August 4 or September 14, as does the housing contract.

  • Where will I live after Transfer Edge ends?
  • The Transfer Edge program ends on August 4 or September 14, while fall housing move-in will take place in late September, typically around the 23rd. During this break students typically choose to return home for the break, though some students travel with new friends.

  • Are there any other housing options aside from the residence halls?
  • Students have the option to pursue alternate housing on campus, including undergraduate apartments. These contracts are typically set for one year. You may choose to begin your housing contract in the summer months, and continue to live there throughout the academic school year. Please visit the Please visit the UCI Student Housing website for details.
    Additionally, students may also elect to live in surrounding off campus apartments.

  • Is there special housing available for married students and students with children?
  • Yes. Married students and students with children have several housing options. Please visit the UCI Student Housing website for details.

  • I am a commuter student. How can I meet other commuters?
  • During the program, commuter students will have several opportunities to meet other commuters as well as residential students. The Transfer Summer Start Seminar will include all Transfer Edge students, residential and commuters alike.

  • What will I do when I’m not in class?
  • All students will participate in a range of exciting co-curricular activities as part of the required course, Social Sciences 89. Residential students will also have housing and community activities with other Transfer Edge students and their resident advisors.

    Students experience college life by participating in programmatic events available to students outside of the scheduled class time. This includes the exclusive INSIDE UCI series, and Collegiate Life events.  Additionally, the Transfer Edge mentors will host unique academic events on campus that will give students the opportunity to connect with peers. See the Events tab for details.
    There are also several food courts on campus where students can grab a bite to eat or to relax and study.

  • Is there childcare available at UCI?
  • Yes. UCI has child care services that are available during summer as well as during the academic school year. Visit the Child Care Services website for details.

  • Can I work while doing this program?
  • Yes. Many transfer students work while attending Transfer Edge, as well as during the academic school year. It is important to note that courses during the summer are accelerated. During the academic year, courses run for 10 weeks, with an additional week for finals. During summer, courses run for 5 weeks, with an additional week for finals. Working students must keep their commitments in mind when choosing courses, and be sure to allocate time for studying and relaxation.

  • Do students participating in Transfer Edge receive Health Insurance?
  • Please be aware that enrollment in Transfer Edge does not include medical or other types of insurance. Students may enroll in Voluntary Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP). Students who will not be covered during the program by a major medical health insurance should strongly consider enrolling in Voluntary UC SHIP. See Step 8 of Enrollment for additional details. Enrollment forms will be shared with students by e-mail alongside official welcome information.

Student Resources