As an incoming international undergraduate transfer student at the University of California, Irvine, you are invited to take part in Transfer Edge International, an innovative opportunity that will provide you with a rich linguistic, academic, social, and personal foundation. The program is designed to support the special needs of students new to our country as well as to provide the opportunity to build relationships with fellow transfer students.
- Acclimate to your new American environment
- Gain confidence and fluency in using English in everyday life and in the UCI setting
- Start to earn UCI academic units that will count towards your undergraduate degree
- Make lasting friendships with other incoming international and American transfer students
- Get comfortable with the UCI campus and its abundant resources
- Become familiar with UCI’s academic rigor
- Join exclusive social events with other American and international Transfer Edge students
- Participate in workshops designed to prepare you to succeed in your UCI studies
- Receive maximum support under ideal conditions
August 6 - September 14, 2017
Transfer Edge International takes place in Summer Session II.
Living on campus during Transfer Edge is an optional, though highly recommended aspect of the program. You will live in the Arroyo Vista on-campus student housing community that consists of small houses that feature 16-32 double-occupancy rooms and communal spaces including kitchens and laundry facilities. We recommend purchasing a 30, 45 or 50 meal plan depending on your desired number of weekly meals. Visit the Housing page for more information
about the Arroyo Vista Housing Community. Summer meal plan information will be provided in our Welcome Guide, which is sent via e-mail after your enrollment is processed.
The program features a daily calendar of academic support and social activities that range from study skills workshops to college lifestyle seminars to beach and kayaking trips off-campus. Visit the Events page for more information on Transfer Edge activities.
Special Support for International students
- Airport pick-up – When you arrive at LAX, we will have someone there to greet you.
- Our friendly Summer Session staff will be available to you throughout the program.
- Contact us now with any questions about the program or the application process. We’d love to hear from you: email@example.com
If you need an F-1 visa to study at UC Irvine, your I-20 documentation or F-1 visa transfer will be processed by the UCI International Center. The start date of your I-20 can be changed to August 6 once your Transfer Edge International enrollment form and payment are received and processed by our office. Follow the instructions given in your UCI Admissions correspondence. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the necessary steps to obtain a visa with UC Irvine.
As an international student, you must remain enrolled as a full-time student (minimum 6 units in Summer Session) to satisfy the requirements of your F-1 student visa. As a Transfer Edge International Student, you will enroll in the following:
- Social Sciences 89: Transfer Summer Start Seminar (2-units of academic credit)
The course is designed to help students make a successful transition to the University of California, Irvine, and develop strategies that will enhance their University experience. Through lectures, discussion, course assignments, and activities, students will learn about campus resources and programs that support their transition and enhance their academic development. Students will also develop a personal action plan to guide their career at UCI.
The 2017 class schedule will be announced in Spring 2017.
- One regular UCI course. Most courses are 4 units.
- (Optional, yet recommended) Academic English 22B: Reading and Vocabulary
(2-units of academic credit) This course is for students who need some extra practice with their English.
You will learn to speak and understand English with more confidence through classes that focus on real-life communication in lively learning activities. These classes will focus on idioms and vocabulary, reading and writing, and speaking and listening.
This course is recommended to give you the foundation to ensure success in your undergraduate years.
Important Dates and Enrollment
We want to hear from you as soon as possible, so please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about our program.
Visit the Transfer Edge Enroll page to view enrollment steps. Your I-20 documentation or F-1 visa transfer will be processed by the UCI International Center. The start date of your I-20 can be changed to August 6 once your Transfer Edge International enrollment form and payment are received and processed by our office. Follow the instructions given in your UCI Admissions correspondence. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the necessary steps to obtain a visa with UC Irvine.
|Enrollment Form Due Date
||June 16, 2017 (this is the last possible date. We recommend you register as soon as possible)
|Program Start Date
||August 6, 2017
|Program End Date
||September 14, 2017