- Why attend?
- Student Experience
Search back to August of the previous year to see events held last summer.
All events, dates, and times are subject to change without notice. Click on individual events for additional details.
Immerse yourself in the undergraduate experience by participating in exclusive Summer Session events, ranging from our touted INSIDE UCI series to social events coordinated by our very own Transfer Edge Mentors. See what kinds of events are happening below!
INSIDE UCI Series Events
A key part of Transfer Edge will be presentations known as INSIDE UCI. These presentations by prominent UCI faculty will give you a “front row seat” to the diverse academic paths and current research of UCI faculty. You will be able to ask them questions about their academic journeys, how they became interested in research, and why they do what they do. For more information, visit our INSIDE UCI page.
Some of the INSIDE UCI events for the 2017 program included:
- "Extra-Ordinary Families,," Anna Penner, Graduate Student, Sociology
- "A Healing Art: The Yin and Yang of Dance and Neurorehabilitation," Kelli Sharp, Assistant Professor, Dance Science
- "Wall-E and the Professor," James Hicks, Professor Ecology & Evolutionary Biology; Director of the Exercise and Sport Sciences Initiative
- "Rethinking Crime and Immigration," Dr. Charis Kurin, Professor, Criminology, Law and Society
- "Living with Shakespeare: The Work of Transitions," Julia Lupton, Professor, English, Director, UCI Illuminations
- "How to Perform Brain Surgery Through the Leg," Li-Mei Lin, Director of Cerebrovascular/Endovascular Neurosurgery Research Program, Neurological Surgery
- "Robotics and Wearable Sensors for Rehabilitation," David Reinkensmeyer, Professor, Anatomy & Neurobiology
- "San Joaquin Marsh Tour," Peter Bowler, Professor, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Director of the Arboretum
Note: Presentations are subject to change.
Collegiate Life events cover topics relating to career exploration, resume writing, study skills, health and wellness, campus opportunities, graduate school, internships and more!
Seminar topics for 2018 may include:
- Using UCI Websites
- Connecting with Faculty
- Resume Basics, Interview Techniques, Job Search Strategies
- Time Management, Effective Study Planning, Preparing for Exams
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Library Workshop
- Fitting in vs. Belonging
- Major and Career
- Panel of Successful Students
- Money Management
- Stress Management and Rehabilitation
The Transfer Edge Mentors, current UCI undergraduate students, will plan social events for you to meet other transfer students and learn about campus life and current student interests. These events will take you behind-the-scenes to little-known yet intriguing corners of the University and introduce you to various resources. In the past, social events have included specially planned lunch activities, movie and board game nights, dance parties, intramural sports games at the Anteater Recreational Center (ARC), and much more! The calendar of optional social events is unique to the interests of the current Mentor team and is also dependent on the events and happenings which occur around campus each summer.