This summer is your opportunity to have an exclusive collegiate experience at the University of California, Irvine, one of the nation's top research universities and now ranked the best young university in America.
Through the UCI High School Summer Scholar Program, you will preview and prepare for the challenges and rewards of undergraduate life. You will learn from UCI's distinguished faculty in your college course, study alongside other university students, meet additional faculty, researchers, and industry experts from across the campus through networking activities and interactive seminars, and enjoy fun social activities where you will meet other Summer Scholars and make new friends.
Academics and Co-curricular Program
UCI Credit Course
Courses are taught by UCI instructors and attended by matriculated UCI students. The instructor will be unaware that you are a high school student, giving you an authentic academic experience.
- Enroll in one UCI credit course of your choice.
- You may choose to enroll in a course related to your future major or in a topic that interests you and is intended for general education credit at your future alma mater.
- You will receive regular UCI college credit for this course, and your grades will be recorded on an official UCI transcript. Most UCI courses offer 4 units of credit.
Selecting a course:
- We recommend students take lower division courses (numbered 99 and below). Visit our website for a list of recommended courses. If you are interested in a higher-level course, e-mail us at email@example.com to request clearance.
- UCI Summer Session courses are regular, college credit courses.
- If you intend to use the course you select toward your high school graduation requirements, please check with your high school guidance counselor prior to enrollment to confirm that the course you select meets your high school’s graduation requirements. Unfortunately, due to the specific nature of academic advising, UCI Summer Scholar staff is unable to provide academic advising for your course selections.
In addition to attending your UCI credit course, Summer Scholars will meet in seminar style together to learn about university research, student life, and collegiate skills while in a college setting. This cohort experience will allow you to be a part of an integrated community of high school students and to learn as a member of a peer group whose active contribution to the classroom encourages knowledge and success. The classroom experience will be a supportive environment where you will develop friendships which promote reflection and personal exploration. With support from faculty, staff and student mentors, you will work as part of a large group and smaller teams, bringing insight and practical application to the classroom curriculum. The program seminars will meet twice per week. Please note that your UCI credit course will have a separate schedule.
College learning encompasses more than just the classroom. A very important component of your college experience is what you gain outside the classroom, also known as co-curricular learning. The INSIDE UCI series, collegiate life workshops, and social activities are designed to give you an understanding of the opportunities, resources and experiences you will encounter as a college student and introduce you to other Summer Scholars.
Your Summer Scholar experience will be guided by the enthusiastic and friendly staff in the Summer Session Office as well as by the undergraduate Summer Scholar Mentors. The mentors are UCI undergraduate students and former participants in Summer Session programs who volunteer their time to support you, serve as a resource, and plan social events.
The Orientation is designed to officially welcome you as a summer Anteater! Staff, mentors and participants from previous summers will engage you in activities to introduce you to the campus, find your classrooms and understand important University policies and program expectations. We will define collegiate terms and phrases such as “TA”, “office hours” and “FERPA”.
This summer there will be a wide variety of activities offered to inspire, encourage, and challenge you academically and personally. You will also find that campus entities including your course instructors and staff will treat you fairly, as a regularly enrolled University student. At orientation our program staff will go over University and course conduct expectations, important policies and dates, and special resources which will aid you throughout the summer.
Orientation activities include classroom tours with the undergraduate mentors and unique teambuilding games hosted by UCI’s very own ANTrepreneur Center. The orientation will also feature a Q&A panel of participants from previous summers. They will share their experiences from their summer at UCI, provide tips and offer advice for being successful in the program and in your UCI credit course.
Parents and guardians are invited to an information session. The student-only activities will occur in the afternoon. Details will be sent to enrolled students by email. This is a mandatory kickoff event for all participants.
Certificate of Completion
Students who complete the program and meet the requirements for participation will receive a Certificate of Completion. Show colleges and universities that you have what it takes!
To receive your UC Irvine High School Summer Scholar Certificate of Completion, you must:
- Attend the Program Orientation on Saturday, June 20 (tentative).
- Enroll in and successfully complete your UCI credit course.
- Attend the required Program Seminars, twice per week (TBA).
- Attend the Program Closing Event on Thursday, July 30.
Visit and explore UCI Irvine virtually! This tour highlights the campus, academic programs, and student life. Stops at academic schools, residential facilities, recreation facilities, and student support services will give you an idea of what a typical day on campus looks like.