- Why attend?
- Student Experience
Immerse yourself in the undergraduate experience by participating in exclusive Summer Session events, ranging from our touted INSIDE UCI series to social events coordinated by our very own Freshman Mentors. See what kinds of events are happening below!
INSIDE UCI Series Events
A key part of Freshman Edge will be presentations known as INSIDE UCI. These presentations by prominent UCI faculty will give you a “front row seat” to the diverse academic paths and current research of UCI faculty. You will be able to ask them questions about their academic journeys, how they became interested in research, and why they do what they do. For more information, visit our INSIDE UCI page.
Some of the INSIDE UCI events for the 2016 program included:
- "How to Unboil Eggs," Gregory Weiss, Professor, Chemistry
- "Inside the Moot Courtroom," Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, Law
- "Writing Science and Beyond in the Digital Age," Erika Hayasaki, Associate Professor, Literary Journalism
- "How to Perform Brain Surgery Through the Leg," Li-Mei Lin, Director of Cerebrovascular/Endovascular Neurosurgery Research Program, Neurological Surgery
- "Robotics and Wearable Sensors for Rehabilitation," David Reinkensmeyer, Professor, Anatomy & Neurobiology
- "San Joaquin Marsh Tour," Peter Bowler, Professor, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Director of the Arboretum
Note: Presentations are subject to change.
College is a community! Collegiate Life events cover topics relating to participation and engagement with clubs, resources, social causes, and opportunities within the university and college community. Staff and students from around the campus will provide engaging workshops and seminars to give you a better understanding of the variety of campus resources available at UCI and your role in the collegiate community.
Seminar topics for 2017 may include:
- Using UCI Websites
- Connecting with Faculty
- Resume Basics, Interview Techniques, Job Search Strategies
- Time Management, Effective Study Planning, Preparing for Exams
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Library Workshop
- Fitting in vs. Belonging
- Major and Career
- Panel of Successful Students
- Money Management
- Stress Management and Rehabilitation
The Freshman Mentors, current UCI undergraduate students, will plan social events for you to meet other new freshmen and to learn about campus life and current student interests. These events will take you behind the scenes to little-known yet intriguing corners of the University and introduce you to resources. Social events have included specially planned lunch activities, movie and board game nights, a dance, intramural sports games at the Anteater Recreational Center (ARC), and much more! The calendar of optional social events is unique to the interests of the current Mentor team and also depends on the events and happenings which occur around campus each summer.
Search back to August of the previous year to see events held last summer. The 2017 program begins on August 5, 2017. Check back soon for an updated events calendar.
All events, dates, and times are subject to change without notice. Click on individual events for additional details.